Confusion about Rainscreens

Course Description

Believe it or not, there isn’t really a consensus on what “rainscreen” means. Some professionals describe specific products as rainscreens and others use the term more generically to refer to a wall design that incorporates drainage behind the cladding, and still others suggest that the term has something or other to do with ventilation and pressure. It’s confusing! This short presentation sorts out the physics and the terminology so that professionals can have a better handle on what that space behind our cladding system is really doing and how large it ought to be.

Course Instructor Christine Williamson

Course Length 14:00

Published 15 Sep 2022

Please note: viewing this course and completing this quiz do not currently count towards AIA CEU credits.

Keywords: Building science, enclosure design, rainscreen, pressure equalization, pressure equalized rainscreen, drainage, drained walls


About Building Science Fight Club

Christine Williamson - Assoc. AIA

Building Scientist | Instructor

Christine Williamson has spent her career in building science forensics, discovering why buildings fail and working with owners, architects, and builders to remedy the problems. She is the founder of the Instagram account @BuildingScienceFightClub, an educational project that teaches architects about building science and construction.